Despite the sadness of my previous posts, I am practising what I preach by focusing on the good stuff. One of them just happens to be a vacation to Melbourne, Australia with the folks this Wednesday!
Yes, you know it! I am thrilled to finally get out of the country for a week, to escape some of the heat and humidity (and haze) and venture out into the bustling cosmopolis, Melbourne. And since it’s on the Southern Hemisphere, it’s winterrrrr! This is weird about me, but I enjoy cold weather. One of the reasons include my love for jackets and cardigans, and since I’m not the kind of person who indulges in shorts or sleeveless pieces, I’m happier to get cozy in an oversized jumper and jeans. Oh, yeah!
I travel on a plane at least once a year, and although I’ve gotten in tune with the rhythm of flying, I still go through some anxiety on board. It would be so much easier if I could get some mild sleeping pills, but that ain’t gonna happen. I enjoy travelling, but I despise air travel. Don’t get me wrong, the idea of it is pretty cool, but I’m a delicate flower where I suffer from motion sickness. And let’s not forget the bloat and the weird feeling in your head and tummy due to the pressure. And let’s not forget the fatigue and dehydration.
So, I’ve decided to narrow down a list of my travel essentials, with the focus on what could be used in-flight, but these items would be perfect in your purse anywhere you go. It’s always good to be prepared!
1. Tea-tree Oil I love this stuff for many reasons. If your sinuses are working up and you’re out of meds, this gives you some relief. If you’re bloating up, tea-tree oil alleviates bloat. I swear by it! Headache? A papercut? A cold sore? This baby is everything you need in your handbag.
2. Facial Mist/Spray A long flight can leave your face feeling dehydrated and looking dull. I’ve always wanted to get one from this beauty store The Face Shop, but they’re usually quite pricey and then I thought to myself.. your face only needs to rejuvenate and hydrate, so why bother with the added chemicals? That led me to the kitchen to make my own face mist. I only need a small bottle, so I blended half a cucumber with a few drops of lemon juice and lemon peel. I then boiled it with a cup a distilled water and let it simmer. Then, I sieved the pulp, let it cool and poured it into a bottle with a spritzer. It’s all natural and you will probably have all the ingredients in your kitchen! You can also incorporate more lovin’ into your spray with a drop of Eucalyptus oil, Tea-Tree oil or Vitamin E, or any of your favorite essential oils.
3. Tinted Lipbalms I can never get tired of lipbalms and I swear, I end up getting a new tube every 2 months or so. I’ve recently gotten into the hang of lipsticks after years of rejecting and neglect (hah), but despite my growing fondness, I still move back to lipbalms, especially the ones with the tint. They’re hydrating and they add a hint of color. It’s just a natural subtlety that I really appreciate especially when I am not in the mood for lipstick!
4. A Versatile Makeup Palette I would generally bulk up on makeup, especially eyeshadows because I have one giant palette with all the colors I want. I invested in an amazing palette by Urban Decay last year called the Rollergirl Palette, and it’s like a best friend. It’s a perfect combination of 3 neutrals and one bright and it comes with an eyeliner and hot pink lipgloss. It’s small and I can go from a natural look, to a smoldering smokey-eye look, or jazz it up with the bright pink shadow. Just perfection!
5. A Relaxing Playlist I love how the right music can calm me down and help me relax. My old mp3 player is now stocked with newly downloaded tunes like some indie folk and ambient jazz. Woot!
Do you girls have any things or products you swear by whenever you travel? Feel free to share!